Department of Sanskrit
Phone : +91-79-2630 2382
Director & Head : Prof . Vasantkumar M . Bhatt
"The Department of Sanskrit " was established as one of the Post - Graduate Departments in the"University School of Languages", in June - 1964. Dr. E.A.Solomon ( Reader and Head ) and Dr. T.S. Nandi were the faculty members at the begining of the department. In subsequent years UGC had sanctioned some posts of Readers and Lecturers in Sanskrit . Here is a table showing the past & present faculty members : -
[ * All three Professors have received a " Certificate of
by the President of
India for their researches in the field of Sanskrit Studies.
The Department has been offering five shastras since
1964 , viz. 1. Vedant ,
The department had organised many conferences and seminars during 1964 - 2004, but some academic events are noteworthy, such as -
1. 32nd session of the ALL INDIA ORIENTAL CONFERENCE ,( 6 - 8 Nov. 1985 ) was organised by the department on the university campus.
2. International seminar on Acharya Hemachandracharya's literature (19 - 20 January 1989 ) was organised by Prof. T.S. Nandi in the Assembly Hall of the School.
3. Traditional Vedic Sammelan ( under auspices supervision of
the Rashtriya Veda Vidya Pratisthan ,
4. Seminar on PANINI'S GRAMMAR was organised (18-19 January 1996 ) at the School.
5. The department has co-ordinated eight different Refresher Courses in Sanskrit for the lecturers of affiliated colleges.
6. The Canadian World Education Foundation,
The department has six sanctioned posts, viz. 1 Professor ,
Students are very much interested in offering the classical
language like Sanskrit as their special subject. Every year there are 200-250
applicants for new admi8ssion in M.A. course. Good numbers of students are
getting jobs in high schools and in under graduates colleges. Sanskrit is being
taught as a compulsory subject in most of the Universities of the
Infrasturcture & Facilities
The department of Sanskrit is an intergal part of the "University School of Languages" (USLg). It has no separate building. We have a common clerical staff and a Director, who looks after all the necessary teaching aids.
The Department of Sanskrit has concentrated on some remarkable objectives; e.g.
· The language teaching through grammar.
· Teaching of various "Shastrs", e.g. 1) Vyakaran (Grammar), 2) Alankar (Poetics), & 3) Dharma & Puran shastra.
· Appreciation of Classical Sanskrit Literature and good acquaintance with Vedic Grammar and studies.
· Teaching of Kautilya Arthshastra & some Rock Inscription.
· Research work in general, and critical text editing of unpublished Sanskrit manuscripts in particular.
(Department has collected more than 300 copies of rare manuscripts for higher research works. In the neighbouring area of the university, there is an institution namely the "L.D.Institute of Indology" where 75000 manuscripts are preserved).
· We have also designed our syllabus to meet with the requirement of NET/GSLET exams. (4 students of this department have cleared NET exams & 8 students have cleared GSLET exams).
Course 1NAME OF THE COURSE : M.A.
( Four Papers in Part – 1 ) and
( Four Papers in Part – 2 )
COURSE TYPE : Grant in Aid
STUDENT INTAKE : 75 ( + 25 with Special Permission.)
ELIGIBILITY : B.A. Passed with Sanskrit as a special subject
from any recognised university .
B.A. Passed with atleast 50% in any subject from
any recognised university
SUBJECT OFFERED : Sanskrit
(A) Main Sanskrit (Three papers ) with one
Subsidiary Language paper , viz . Hindi, Gujarati,
Pali- Prakrit, Urdu-Persion, English & Linguistics.
Entire Sanskrit (Four Papers ).
: Who they are going to opt
for Sanskrit as a
Entire subject, they may select any one
“SHASTRA” as his /her Specialization out of three
Shastras , mentioned bellow :-
(a) Paniniyan Grammar
(b) Darshana Shastra
(c) Dharma & Purana Shastra.
DURATION : M.A. :Two Years
i.e. M.A. Part – I – first year
M.A. Part – II – second year
COURSE COMMENCEMENT : June
[ Normaly Academic Years starts from 15th June,
but admission process begins after the B.A.
results of this university are declered.]
ADIMISSION PROCESS : By Merit only
(1) Merit lists are supposed to be prepared by the Department according to the markes obtained by the Student in his / her B.A. exams.( rules are laid-down by the university)
(2) Reservation quota will be maintained as per the government rules.
FEES : In the 1st Term :- (M.A. –I )
Rs. 840 (For Boys ) & Rs. 240 (For Girls )
In the 2nd Term :- (M.A. –I )
Rs.740 (for Boys ) & Rs. 140 (for Girls )
In the 1st Term :- (M.A. –II )
Rs. 740 (For Boys ) & Rs. 140 (For Girls )
In the 2nd Term :- (M.A. –II )
Rs.740 (for Boys ) & Rs. 140 (for Girls )
There are two terms in each academic year.
Various types of scholaships are available for
S.C./ S.T./ SEBC Students .
COURES OFFERED AT
It is also known as the (Bhasa Sahitya Bhavan)
FUTURE CAREER : (a) Student can be a High School teacher but the
(b) Student with 55% marks at the M.A. exam can be a lecturer at any under – graduate college (but he / she is supposed to pass the Net / Slet Exam).
(c) Clerical job in any Government / Non –Govt. organization after GPSC & UPSC Exam.
NAME OF THE COURSE : M.PHIL.
(Three Papers & One Dissertation )
COURSE TYPE : Grant in Aid .
INTAKE : 12 Student .
ELIGIBILITY : M.A. Passed with minimum 55% marks with
Sanskrit as a main / entire subject .
SUBJECT OFFERED : SANSKRIT
(a) Three papers written examination after one year
(b) After passing the written exam student is
suppose to write a dissertation on the given
subject, within one and haff year.
SPECIALIZATION : Student may select any one ‘Shastra’ as his / her special shastra out of two 1) ‘Sanskrit Grammar’ or 2) ‘Darshana Shastra’ .There will be one paper for this shastra specilization out of three Complasory Papers mantioned above.
DURATION : One year (Attendance Complsory )
One and half year for dissertation (at home).
COURSE COMMENCEMENT : June
(normaly it starts only after the M.A. results are declare of this University.)
ADMISSION PROCESS : By Merit only .
Reservation quota is maintained as per the
FEES : (a) In the 1st Term
Rs.1,370 (for Boys ) & Rs.370 (for Girls )
(b) In the 2nd Term
Rs.1170 / (for Boys) & Rs.170 (for Girls )
COURSE OFFERED AT : The University School of Languages building which is also known as “Bhasha – Sahitya Bhavan”.
: Lecturership at the
Name : Dr. Vasantkumar M. Bhatt
Qualification : M.A., DIL, Ph.D.
Designation : Director & Professor & HoD
Areas of Specialization : Sanskrit, Paniniyan Grammar, Sanskrit Grammar
Contact No. : 26302382 (O) 26406508 (R )
Name : Dr. K. C. Chokshi
Qualification : M.A., PGDIP, Ph.D.
Designation : Reader
Areas of Specialization : Sanskrit, Grammar, Purana-shastra
Contact No. : 26302382 (O) 27640876 (R )
Name : Dr. (Mrs.) S. Y. Shastri
Qualification : M.A.(Grammar), M.A.(Vedant), DIL, Ph.D.
Designation : Sr. Lecturer
Areas of Specialization : Sanskrit Grammar, Vedant, Dharmasashtra
Contact No. : 26302382 (O) 26751779 (R )
Name : Mrs. Hetal M. Pandya
Qualification : M.A.
Designation : Lecturer
Areas of Specialization : Sanskrit Grammar
Contact No. : 26302382 (O) 26925081 (R )